[Heeplist] Ken Hensley

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 19:41:37 EDT 2013

I thought HF was a decent 80's recording.  Poppy songs you can sing along
too, and the one about being in the Tomb was cool!  Equator too is a decent
80's rock lp but far below expectations of what heep should and did some
like.  I still rate it better than any 80s rock except for Maiden and MSG.
The Goalby era recordings, well calling them Heep was like calling a Ringo
Starr solo recording The Beatles.  Lot of covers and weak songwriting.  But
then most 80's songwriting was weak in my opinion.  I am not saying the
Goalby era recordings are bad, they sound more like they should have been
Mick's solo records.

On 8/28/13 1:57 PM, "Jay Pearson" <deepheep at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Me, I like Head First nearly as much as Abominog, which is one of my favorite
> albums of that melodic hard rock genre of the time (such as the Joe Lynn
> Turner-era Rainbow albums, Night Ranger, April Wine, etc). Head First actually
> got quite a bit of airplay in Seattle (4 songs!). Side 2 of HF (or tracks
> 6-10) is a great slab of melodic hard rock. IGNORE the negative comments on
> the list about HF side 2!!! As for Equator, I love Night of the Wolf, it's one
> of my all-time favorite Heep songs. Most of the songs have grown on me over
> time, although I almost always skip over Skool's Burning and Party Time, those
> two songs are just too stupid. I also have a sentimental weakness for Abominog
> as it was my first Heep album.

Jay
np - Stray -