[Heeplist] Ken Hensley

Jay Pearson deepheep at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 13:57:33 EDT 2013

Me, I like Head First nearly as much as Abominog, which is one of my favorite albums of that melodic hard rock genre of the time (such as the Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow albums, Night Ranger, April Wine, etc). Head First actually got quite a bit of airplay in Seattle (4 songs!). Side 2 of HF (or tracks 6-10) is a great slab of melodic hard rock. IGNORE the negative comments on the list about HF side 2!!! As for Equator, I love Night of the Wolf, it's one of my all-time favorite Heep songs. Most of the songs have grown on me over time, although I almost always skip over Skool's Burning and Party Time, those two songs are just too stupid. I also have a sentimental weakness for Abominog as it was my first Heep album.

Jay
np - Stray - Houdini

 From: Igor Shveitser <zlenko_iv at mail.ru>

Shawn,
I rate Abominog as the best album of the "re-formed" 80-s Heep-wise (although it lacks most of the classic Heep ingredients), Raging Silence is the second in my hit-parade if we talk about that time :)))) Both Head First and Equator are definite steps away not only from classic Heep sound but into obvious mediocrity. Mediocre and mostly primitive, kind of sleazy music played and composed by very good musicians. But after years of  trying to like it I finally managed to like first 3 songs off Equator and only the first one from Head First... As for RS - still not Heep really, but better songs anyway and I quitу like the album after all those years.
Cheers, Igor