[Heeplist] The LAW

Norbert von Fransecky news at musikansich.de
Sun Dec 13 13:27:11 EST 2015

I'll try an answer without being near to the band.

The refrain is dangerous!
In the mouth (or the mind) of a redneck it would sound heavy like a call
to self justice. But I don't think that's the way of Heep.

In the second verse they speak about a world turning into decay by the
pleasures of life. I have to think at Neil Postman (or Roger Waters)
talking about a world "amused to death".  "The Law" mentions us "falling
out of faith". That fits in with the first verse talking about a world
that is "Hell-bent and heaven bound". And HEEP starts this with the
confession that this world have to be torn down before a better one will
come.

In the third verse we are asked for sacrifices. WSe have to listen to
the sirens and understand them as a warning. That is a nearly biblical
language telling about the prophets warning the people to go forther on
a wrong way that must end in a ctastrophe.

But - again like the biblical prophets - there is hope. "Part the sea
with floods of shame" . Isn't that the picture of Moses at the shore of
the sea? And there are stepping stones and a "way into wonderland".

HEEP are no christian band, neihter a political one. But this song ist -
next to songs like "Pilgrim", "Lady in Black" or "Come away Melinda" - a
strong call for the legions of peace - especially in a time when the
half of Europe is ready to run headless in a new war that will benefit
only the falcons om every side - and the military industry.
I think "The Law" is a strong call to live by your own law against the
law of hate and revenge.

I hope I didn't put too much into the words but took things out of them.

Norbert