[Heeplist] Firefly and beyond

Igor Shveitser zlenko_iv at mail.ru
Thu Aug 28 14:03:51 EDT 2014

 Hello Pete,
Perhaps, the latter would've been possible ... if again, the song was penned by anyone else but Ken :))) As of  the first part of your suggestion, perhaps, you'd care to read my review of Look At Yourself - there I gave some reasons regarding why the "whys" of Uriah Heep never really fitted the albums...  http://www.david-byron.ru/uriah-heep-look-at-yourself-review/  Sorry for this being only in Russian as of now, still you can use Google translate, it fits ok for the task.  https://translate.google.com/

 However, if you're lazy to deal with it,  I can clumsily put the final part into English using that funny site: P.S. With its 41 minutes of playing the album «Look At Yourself» appeared to be the longest of all the albums recorded by Uriah Heep with David Byron as the vocalist. And as producer Gerry Bron basically did not want to go beyond that time frame, fearing lower sound quality albums due to seal tracks, some of the sessions in 1971 remained outside of the vinyl disc. Published later, in the 1990s and 2000s, on various compilations and remaster versions in CDDA format, this "something" for many fans of the band is no less valuable than the seven compositions described above. Of course, to imagine them as part of «Look At Yourself», which was the theme of my story - a dynamic, impulsive, yet elaborate in terms of layout - is difficult, if not impossible. At the same artistic merits of bonus songs are undeniable. They say, a ballad in the key of D major «What's Within My Heart» was recorded on the same day as «What Should Be Done», and the musicians were not aware of the fact that bobins rotate when the red button of studio recorder was activated. However, this version is not very convincing, since Ken before the composition threw the phrase "Red light's on" which was a clear signal: that is being recorded. The ballad is fascinatingly beautiful - but  it is easier to imagine it being part of  "Led Zeppelin" repertoire of  of the same year, while "Heep", apparently feared losing stiffness of sound and dynamic sachieved with such difficulty. Pretty much the same could be said about Gerry Bron's unloved meditative and progressive number in C minor called «Why». Hear how skillfully Mick Box uses the volume control on the guitar  - what's the crucial difference between his playing with "cello" sound in this case with the same actions of Ritchie Blackmore in the composition «Fools» from the «Fireball»album? However, this is a rhetorical question, time has proven that almost every musician of the 70-s Uriah Heep could be considered the founder and leading figure of the genre in no less degree than any rock star mentioned more frequently  in the press of those years or in music talk . And the songs themselves, even among non-album - they are undisputed classics of the genre, which we can enjoy after many, many years, as if heard them yesterday.