[Heeplist] Favourite Heep drumtrack?

David Amendolara mail4hamurabi at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 17:26:43 EDT 2014

One thing I always thought was that by the time Abominog came around, Lee's style of drumming had changed. Not better or worse, but different than before.

I'm revisiting the "old" (or classic) Heep a bit these days and I really noticed a few things, including his drumming which was rarely a simple 4/4 pattern, but always very exciting and (slightly) different from what you'd expect.

Same with ALL the bass players Heep have had over the years: often they'll be playing a melody all of their own beneath the main riff or vocal melody. Listen to Easy Livin, for instance. Even Bob Daisley, who I think is Heep's most underrated bass player, did incredibly interesting things. In that sense I am glad with Davy Rimmer's first record with the band, he seems to be "one of those" players, too.

And yeah, from what I heard of Ken's later / recent outings, the bass and drums are often rather simple - almost an afterthought.

Cheers,
Eddie!