[Heeplist] (no subject) Hooked on Heep

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 08:00:27 EDT 2014

Great topic Don! For me it was September 1974 a Saturday afternoon in the
dorm at college in Cedarville Ohio.  Weather wise, I believe it was cold
winds and cloudy skies.  Anyhow I was in the dorm and Doug in the room next
door announced he needed money for a date that night.  He said he was going
to part with his favorite album, but he did not identify it.  He put on
Demons and Wizards unbeknownst to me.  The first 4 songs played and I heard
a nice ballad and 3 rockers.  I had heard the song Easy Livin before.  Then
track 5 came on, Circle of Hands.  The soaring vocals, the swirling
keyboards, the magic pummeled me instantly.  I could not wait until
tomorrow, I had to have this today!!  I flung my dorm room door open and
burst into Doug's room and said how much?  He wanted $3, and I fished it out
of my wallet.  It was all I had left to my name at that point, but I had to
have this lp.  I didn't even know the name of it.  He showed me the lp and I
was shocked. I had seen this cover so many times but always judged the band
in a negative way because of the title.  Then he said read what Ken wrote in
the liner notes.  I did and that put my mind at ease.  Best $3 I ever spent
and I didn't even have a turntable.  I then found a guy in the dorm with
Sweet Freedom on 8 track, I borrowed it and ran to my car to play it.  I sat
there for hours listening to Sweet freedom enjoying every second of it.  I
never returned SF to the other guy.  4 years later, my car was broken into
at work.  A thief smashed my car window and stole my 8 track tape player.
Wouldn't you know SF was in the tape player.  The thief actually was kind
enough to pull it out and fling it to the floor of the vehicle.  I may have
lost my player and a window, but I still had my Uriah Heep Sweet Freedom!!