[Heeplist] Uriah Heep Amsterdam

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 08:23:42 EST 2013

Bravo!!  I am excited by this post,finally a real review of what the new
bass player Davey is like.  I have been waiting for this.  Of course I miss
Trevor as much as anyone would.  However, I have had an innate curiosity as
to how Davey shapes the sound now.  Thank you David for having the guts to
give us some in-depth technical comments.

If memory serves me correct, Lady in Black used to have a very heavy feel to
it with Paul Newton on bass.  The secret to make that song work, is the
acoustic guitar, the sing a long lyrics and the heavy thumping rhythm.  From
What David says here, it sounds like the Heep has recaptured that feel.

On 12/12/13 2:57 AM, "David Amendolara" <mail4hamurabi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Evert,

I saw them in De Bosuil in Weert last night. Also not sold out I
> believe but nearly cos it was quite full! I keep being amazed at how young
> Heep's crowd still is, because there were a lot of teens, tweens and
> twentysomethings in the crowd. Then again, back in 1996 I was 15 also, and one
> of the younger ones :-) Set list was the same, with Sweet Freedom included
> also. Bernie or Mick mentioned that they'd "thrown it in last night" and
> figured "let's do that again." Very cool, as it has always been one of my
> favorite songs. I have to revisit it, though cos I think they threw in an
> extra bar of music during the chorus :-D

This was my first Heepconcert since
> Trevor's passing, and I had never seen them without him on bass duties. It was
> weird seeing Davy Rimmer on stage with that huge Warwick bass of his (that
> thing goes on for miles!!). He has a bit of a John Entwistle tone (probably
> courtesy of the bass, which I believe was designed by Entwistle back in the
> days) and is a much ballsier bass player. He and Russel work well together as
> a rhythm section, but I think Heep has lost a bit of the melodic edge they
> used to have, in favour of a more straight-ahead rock approach. Even Lady In
> Black sounded heavier.

After the show, my dad and I remarked that it is only
> now really clear just how MUCH Trevor brought to the band in terms of melody.
> I never realized just HOW busy a bass player he was - I am sure Davy did not
> play half as much notes last night. Absolutely no disrespect to Davy, don't
> get me wrong, but Trevor was just such an incredibly melodic player that it
> added a whole different element of groove and feel to the band which Davy does
> not bring. In a way, that's a good thing - I prefer a player with personality
> who brings his own style to the table, rather than have a copycat play
> note-for-note as if it's his day job. And yes, I know this IS their job -
> Bernie spoke about it when he mixed up the days, he was VERY talkative last
> night!

Bernie also mentioned that this was the penultimate gig of an
> 18-month tour, in year filled with ups and downs. Come January they will hit
> the studio to record a new album, and then it will all start again :-) I for
> one, cannot wait!

Oh on a side-note, Davy wore the pendant which Trevor's
> daughter had made and which was commissioned by the band as a gift to him. I
> thought that was a nice touch.

Cheers,

Eddie