[Heeplist] Spirit in the Sky

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 10:58:34 EST 2013

Well I just got done listening 1x through on Spirit in the Sky.  This one is
the best yet!  I am so impressed with David, I believe Ken once called him a
"daveytron" in early heep liner notes.  He can adjust the inflections, pitch
to just about any song.  This cd contains a couple from the first  release,
but overall the best of them.  An outstanding song selection.
For someone to truly appreciate, they have to be a huge fan of David Byron,
which I am, and like late 60's early 70's pop hits.

Every song beyond a shadow of doubt is David Byron.  I listened to so much
Heep over the years since 1974, you cannot fool me.  Like Black Night for
example, there is a scream, while not Gillianesque, it is clearly Byronesque
and also heard on Fire.  Even though David, the huge talent he was, and very
adaptive vocally, there are some traits that are distinctly his that shine
through.  Remember this is not a David Byron solo cd or Heep.  His job was
to imitate the hits of the day not to interpret them.  He was to make them
sound like the originals, so people could get for example the greatest hits
of 1971 for a low price and not have to buy each record.  I was once a
teenager on an allowance and used to buy those kind of lps.

So Ron, please pass on to Colin that 95% of us truly appreciate and are
highly grateful.  Tell him there are always armchair critics in life no
matter whether its music, movies or sports.  Tell him he has made many heep
fans happy, and not to worry about those who can never be happy no matter
what.  His job is not to change them or eradiate them. Lol!

Bob "One elated David Byron Fan"   Winward