[Heeplist] Black Sabbath (one more time)

Igor Shveitser zlenko_iv at mail.ru
Fri Jul 5 15:43:26 EDT 2013

 Jay,
In general I tend to agree with your point of view regarding BS and Iommi, still there are things I see quite differently. For instance, Dehumanizer was not much like the original albums featuring Dio (he was not that good at singing anymore (some high notes went as well as the clarity) and the general mood was way more "metallic") - but most of the tracks were really good and original. With the Devil You Know it was way more clumsy overall - Atom And Evil, Eating The Cannibals?! Those titles make me laugh to this day, but it's a laughter with a taste of bitterness. Also, there were (at least to me) much less really good tracks from a musical (composing) point of view. Perhaps, the first three, especially Bible Black, are really well made. Overall it was an ok doom metal work made by Tony, Ronnie and Geezer, while with Dehumanizer they were closer to real Black Sabbath style. As for the 13, they are ultimately close - excluding, however, the significant bluesy/rock'n'roll side of the original band. Tony Martin years are special to me, I was introduced to their music then and even visited one of the gigs in 1989 in the same hall where Heep played 2 years earlier, but this isn't Sabbath really. Yes, some hits, some nice guitar and good vocals - but this is typical 80-s with all its poppy flavour, as for the 90-s, excluding Tyr, - the further, the worse for it seems to me by the 1994-95 Tony didn't have much to offer, more he had to fulfill the contract :)))) Perhaps, that was the main reason for de-facto disbanding that followed a bit later.
Cheers, Igor

Пятница,  5 июля 2013, 9:12 -07:00 от Jay Pearson <deepheep at yahoo.com>:
>The only Iommi record I haven't enjoyed is his s/t solo album; I really only liked the song with Ozzy, the rest sounded like Tony was trying to be too modern rather than being Tony. The Devil You Know is about as good as Dehumanizer to my ears, but not as good as Heaven & Hell or Mob Rules. I love all the Tony Martin albums, although Forbidden is the weakest of the lot (mainly cuz the production sucks), the rest are all superb. Of the Glenn Hughes albums, I only love Seventh Star, the two collaborations I think are about equal to The Devil You Know. And I may be the only one, but Born Again is one of my favorite metal albums ever, a unique mix of classic Sabbath sound with Gillan (the band) songwriting.
>
>The more I've listened, the more I'm convinced that 13 is one of the best Sabbath/Iommi albums.
>
>Jay
>sp - Phil Keaggy

> From: Igor Shveitser < zlenko_iv at mail.ru >
>

>It depends on what kind of IOMMI MUSIC do you like more :) I must admit, as much as I enjoyed Black Sabbath with Dio (original disks, they were dynamic, inspired, philosophical - whatever, great overall!), so I was rather (well, quite predictably though) disappointed with The Devil You Know for it lacked almost all of the original ingredients being just plain dark and slow heavy metal which I do not fancy much. It was even worse with Iommi solo for me - so, "13" is at last the breath of fresh air. :)))

Igor Shveytser