[Heeplist] Fly Like An Eagle

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 14:27:21 EDT 2023

When I first saw the title I thought it was a cover of an old Steve Miller song.  I also remember reading somewhere in the interview with Russell who wrote the song, He went and re-searched early Heep music to see if he can identify elements in the past and incorporate with a more modern sound.  One thing I always liked about Heep is the raw Hammond and Micks stellar sounding guitar work.  And let me not forget David Byron's outstanding vocal range.  Well, I can say while the song is not early Heep you can hear some of those elements.  Yet Heep has carved out a new sound that won't go away, but a much better job on this cd of sprinkling in some of the old with the new.

Song starts out with a nice slow but heavy drum beat, fast guitar & synthesizer keyboards. Then breaks tasty hard rock vocals by Bernie. About two minutes into this song, the tempo picks up Bernie sings faster. Some wild synthesizer licks from Phil then Awesome guitar solo from Mick. Overall the tune lasts about 3 1/2 minutes,  it's not one of the fabulous epic tunes on the CD but still adds variety
And really nice to hear contributions to the songwriting from entire band.

Stay tuned upcoming review of freedom to be free, the killer song and one of the best Heep has  ever done. You guys who are not familiar with it, I recommend breaking out the CD even for just that one track, you won't be sorry!!!

Bob
All Heep is good Heep!