[Heeplist] Heep sadness

Staf Pypen staf.p at skynet.be
Sat Oct 15 08:09:11 EDT 2022

I have been to the Heep gig in Brussels yesterday and man, or woman, did
i have fun ? Heep rocked and i could withness it from the first row,
belly against the stage, just like i done in Berlin. Front row is, for
me, in this moment in my life, the best place to sit. Okay, it might
sometimes be a bit expensive (which it wasn't yesterday), but it sure as
hell is worth it, every second. Sound is not the best upfront, but hey,
we know the songs, so, who cares, closer contact with the guys, wasn't
possible, no after party or meet and greet, which is a pitty really.
Russell is playing a new drum kit, i think it's a B&B or something, a
brand that i never heard of before. my goodness, what a power comes out
of those skins, certainly when Russ is giving them something to chew on
;-)
Marvelous eye to eye contact with them all. It's nice to be recognised
sometimes ;-), shot some real cool pictures, some blurry too,
understandable, i was there to enjoy and rock out. I wasn't really
paying too much attention to how the pictures came out.
Met up with David Amendolara and his dad, Franco, which has been years
ago too. But we already agreed to meet up on these occasions more often.
Belgium doesn't have a vast fanbase, i bumped into two guys who are
living only like 20 minutes from me and we never met before, both
wearing a Heep-shirt. It is so different to Holland, where almost every
Heepster knows the other. Me and Frieda are also friends with a lot of
them Dutch people, great folks, good company.  I sometimes wish there
would be more connection in my own country, but it is what it is. The
venue wasn't sold out, but oh hell, we rocked the cement from between
the bricks of the outside walls ;-)
I hope to see them again real soon, they truely are fare out the best
and band i ever withnessed, ... does that sound biased ? ;-)

They start the concerts on this tour with a sort of un-plugged set up,
all sitting down to play and sing, very cozy. Then the second part is
full blast power rock. Before the first part, other bands or some of
their members, appear on a large white backdrop, congratulating Heep for
it's 50th anniversary. In between the two parts, the band is highlighted
with snippets from festivals and venues they have vissited over the
years. Also, the former bandmembers came into the light, which is always
nice to see.

For me, when they played the songs that were done in the Lawton-era, i
always have this heavy feeling coming over me. Some of you might know
that John and me had very good contacts with eachother, yes, friendship,
so the news of him being dead all of a sudden, came in really hard, also
with Frieda, even now, when i hear songs with him, my heart get's weary.
Same as when is see pictures or video's with Lee, having him over for
Heepvention 2015 and spending quite some time with and around him, left
a friendly trace too.

I suppose, life goes on, isn't it ? Or as John would say to his
audience: " Say Yes John "

Looking forward (fingers crossed for good health of everyone in Heep),
to see and hear them again in a not to distant time.

Staf