[Heeplist] SellersVill PA song impressions

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Mon May 27 12:44:48 EDT 2019

I had the immense pleasure of seeing Uriah Heep as the headliner at
Sellersville, PA on May 20.  I was pleased that the setlist included 6 new
songs from the Living the Dream cd and will cover them  and some other
highlights.  Heep opened with ³Grazed by Heaven², the first song we all
heard before the cd was released.  They played it just like it sounds on the
cd, no deviation and it was fast, hardhitting and lively.

 Of note the 3rd song played was ³Too Scared to Run²  the only song they
played that wasn¹t from LTD or 1970-1974.  It happens to be a personal
favorite of their tour manager Scampi and I have always like this song,
faced paced, lively tune, cool lyrics, chock full of changes and sound
effects.  I am glad they are keeping it in the setlist.  The only song from
Lawton or Goalby era this time out.

 Up next was ³Take Away My Soul²,  I love this song and the background
vocals of ³ I¹M a free man²  which by the way are song by Phil and Davey
along with Bernie.  This is up there as one of Heep¹s best pure rockers
(that is not a prog song) and I got goosebumps with the ending, just like
when I listen to the cd, the way the band is playing so fast at the end, and
Russell is thrashing the drums.  Pure adrenaline!!!

³Knocking at My Door²  this was a song for some reason I didn¹t like when I
first got the cd.  However, it grew on me fast and it translates awesomely
live!  Micks blistering guitarwork and solos and I really enjoyed Davey¹s
melodic bass solo towards the end.

³Waters Flowing² I see this one being in the setlist for many years to come,
a great sing along song, and It was played right in the middle of the
setlist, gving Heep a chance to take it down a notch, followed by the
³Wizard² in which Mick played a custom accoustic guitar.  I forget where
they said it was from (Bulgaria??)

³Rocks in the Road²  It was time for Heep to turn it up again, and this song
is every bit as good as I thought it would be live, all the changes and very
progish, it showcases the talent of the band!!

Lastly I would like to mention ³Look at Yourself²  this song has evolved
over the years, and Mick does some really exciting, special guitar work with
it.  What stood out for me, I don¹t remember this part from last year, was
Bernie doing a vocal duel with MicK¹s guitar.  They didn¹t keep it up for
long, but it was still pretty cool to see and hear!

What can I say about Rainbow Demon, RTF, July Morning, Gypsy, Stealin¹ and
Easy Livin¹ that has not been said already?

Ok, I know every time I see heep live, I say it is the best show ever!  They
just keep playing at a high level.  This is also the first time ever, I got
to see Heep do 6 new songs live!

I have an idea for the 50th anniversary.  A three day Heep festival, where
they do 2007 to present, day 2 80¹s and 90¹s, then day 3 the 70¹s.  That
would be so cool, with 40 or so songs!

Bob "All 50 Years of Heep is Good Heep" Winward
uriahheep at comcast.net