[Heeplist] Great review

lethridge@carolina.net . lethridge at carolina.net
Sun May 13 10:11:32 EDT 2018

 This is on the Heep website on the left under tweets. The pictures she put up with the review are awesome.

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait: Uriah Heep Rocks Portland’s Aladdin Theater
April 29, 2018 By Untwisted Vintage 2 Comments
April 25, 2018
On an unseasonably warm Wednesday night, rock fans streamed into the historic Aladdin Theater in southeast Portland, perching themselves on lumpy red velvet seats. Unfamiliar with the layout of the venue, my husband and I arrived two hours early, determined to grab seats close to the stage. We were near the front of the line and had the rock gods on our side, snagging seats in the front row, just to the left of center, in prime Mick Box/Bernie Shaw territory. By the time the show started at 8:00, a few fans were standing at the front of the stage. Would they be allowed to stay or told to sit down by security? We didn’t know, so not wanting to risk losing our prime Box seats, we stayed camped out in row one, becoming more and more aware that the seats likely had their original metal springs.

The Aladdin Theater
The Aladdin opened its doors in 1928, first as Geller’s Theatre, and changing its name to the Aladdin in 1930. The space has served a variety of purposes. Starting as a vaudeville house, it morphed into a movie theater in the mid 1930s and an adult movie theater in the 1970s. It’s been a concert and comedy venue since the early 1990s. With a theater capacity of about 600, the Aladdin is one cool spot to catch live music in Portland. As a history geek, I enjoyed exploring the theater, and made a trip to the balcony to check out all the cool architectural details. Faux box seats on each side of the house are festooned with heavy green drapery. Antique lamps decorate the ceiling, and the colorful marquee outside is a treat for vintage sign lovers.

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait
As we got closer to showtime, my pulse increased and I realized there really was no choice. One doesn’t travel 1,600 miles to play the wallflower. As the house darkened and the first notes of Gypsy ran out, my husband and I raced up to the stage. The crowd cheered as a spot illuminated Phil Lanzon, and he began playing those first distinctive notes of “Gypsy” on the Hammond organ. The excitement in the room escalated as he was joined by Russell Gilbrook, and the crowd roared when Davey Rimmer, and Mick Box made their way forward bathed in teal and purple light. Fans cheered again as Bernie Shaw entered the stage, raising a glass to the crowd. He strutted to the mic just in time to belt out the first lyrics of the show: “I was only seventeen, fell in love with a Gypsy queen. . .”

Being in such close proximity to the band is a visual wonderland, and such a treat, allowing fans like myself to gawk at everything from the beautiful iridescent details on Mick’s guitar to Bernie and Mick’s cool turquoise jewelry, to the intricacies of every motion that creates Uriah Heep’s distinctive sound. You have the opportunity to stare into the eyes (or sunglasses) of legends and experience every intimate detail of the performance within arms length. It’s awe inspiring and blissfully intense. At times I want to just press the pause button so I can catch my breath and let the moment truly sink in.

Style with a Smile
Mick Box has style. There is no denying that. Style with a smile. He is tremendous to watch. A combination of showmanship and serene coolness, casually throwing music and kisses to the fans. It’s joyous to see the passion in which he and all the members of Uriah Heep perform, and how they seem to take delight in the reaction of the fans.
>From Classics to the Contemporary
The show was a perfect mix of classic and contemporary tunes. “Lady in Black,” “Sunrise,” “the Wizard,” “Stealin'” and “the Magician’s Birthday,” all made the set list. Then there’s perhaps my favorite, “July Morning.” It showcases each musician exquisitely, beautifully balancing intense guitar and Hammond organ with slower, tender moments. Unpredictable by today’s standards, just when you think it has built to its climax, its only half over. The song has everything: epic guitar solos allowing Mick Box to dazzle the crowd, beautiful harmonies, and of course Bernie’s amazing vocals.
The set list was a nice mix of old and new, and the opportunity for the band to introduce fans to songs from the latest album Outsider. They played “The Law” and “One Minute” and laid groundwork for the new album that will be released this fall. I for one, am really excited to hear it since it’s been four years since Outsider was released, and means another world tour is coming soon.

Russell Gilbrook is amazing on the drums. Mick and Russell dueled it out on the Magician’s Birthday, to the delight of the crowd.
Voices
The Hammond organ and heavy guitar are essential to the Heep sound. If I had to pick a third instrument, it would be voice, starting of course with charismatic front man Bernie Shaw. Bernie is fantastic to see live, engaging the crowd from beginning to end. He connects with the fan in the front row as well as the back of the house, and plays a small venue as if its the largest amphitheater. What I love about Bernie’s voice is his ability to nail both the quiet and heavy moments. There’s a great juxtaposition in many Heep songs of the soft and hard, rolling and building in song and story. As much as I love the power and am in awe of his voice in songs where he really wails, Bernie’s voice also has a beautiful sweet spot. He has a specific range that is just purely exquisite, and it’s found in the quieter moments. You hear it in his performance of classics like “July Morning,” “One Minute” (my favorite song off of their last album), and “Love in Silence,” one of my favorites that they are not currently playing live. Bernie’s voice also has great power. Check out YouTube for a live performance of “Sunrise” and you won’t be disappointed. There’s also a grit and growl to his voice that provides so much depth and character to the sound.

But the Uriah Heep isn’t just about one voice, and the harmonies of the band have given Uriah Heep its distinctive sound throughout its nearly 50 year history. I’m happy they’ve stuck with it. It’s a beautiful thing. Just check out some of the new songs from their latest album like “One Minute” and “The Law.”

Phil Lanzon killing it on the Hammond and providing vocals that are so essential to what make the Heep sound.

The Fans
After attending a Uriah Heep concert in March, I wrote about the power of live music and experiencing it as a collective. There really is something magical about the electric experience of sharing live music with other fans. In a world that is often so cynical, jaded, and struggling, its energizing to put that all aside for a couple of hours and soak in the collective bliss, celebrating in the music and legends in front of us. Apologies to the fans whose conversations I was eavesdropping on. I love hearing people talk about seeing the band in the 70s or how wonderful it was to see them after all these years. I can’t help but listen in, and feel genuinely happy for the other fans. I hope that the band sees and feels this too. Like the guy standing in front of me who was totally rocking out and occasionally looked back into the crowd with a huge grin, perhaps connecting with a friend or loved one who decided to stay seated, or the guy in the bar who was so happy to have seen the band again after many years. I’m a horrible conversationalist. I usually nod and smile. A venerable Margaret Mead of rock concerts, observing others and making metal notes, but not quite sure how to join in. But after a Uriah Heep concert, my husband and I usually talk for hours. Topics may range from Bernie’s pants (sorry, I’m a textile nerd. You can’t take me out museum mode) to how hard Russell works on those drums. I get inspired, and ask myself things like am I too old to take up the guitar? Or I get nostalgic and think about how I used to love to play on my grandpa’s organ. And within an hour, we are day dreaming about the next time. If we could see Uriah Heep in any country in the world, where would it be? I wonder if they will be playing somewhere on your birthday in November? What will the next album be like? What a gift their music has given us all.

We were extremely fortuitous to have been able to see Uriah Heep twice during their latest North American tour. The first gig was just a few hours from our home. The Portland gig was in my home state and an opportunity not only for rocking out, but visiting my family.

Will this be enough to tide me over until the next time?