[Heeplist] A Far Better Way

Filip Björner filip.bjorner at live.se
Tue May 23 15:16:22 EDT 2017

Listened to some Heep songs on Youtube, among them A Far Better Way, provided there by Ron Mann.

Began speculating about reasons for why this awesome song was not included on the Firefly Lp. I came up with the taught that maybe it was because they felt it would be hard for John to sing that song with that high vocal end section on concert after concert. I know he had (and still have) a splendid voice, but I guess there are limits for making such a strong performance night after night. Do this speculation sound a bit plausible or not?

Imagine what it could have done for the band if that song was included on Firefly, and also had made it as a hit on radio channels. The Youtube clip is 5:51 seconds though, so a single version should have been cut down to about half that time. And if so the deepest cut should have been in the beginning. It goes up at 1.45 and then first only instrumental, and then it goes slower and pure instrumental again after the second vocal between 2:50 and 3:40, so a single version could have been much heavier.