[Heeplist] 2001 Heep Story in reply to Stan, and for Don!

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 09:29:18 EST 2017

Don asked for stories and will over the next few weeks take us on the
journey. More of my dreams came true about meeting Uriah Heep and other fans
than I could have ever imagined before 1996 (when I first got on the net).

2001 show in Ohio was an amazing one for me.  Barry Lombardo (another
heepfan legend) and I drove to Ohio for the show.  When we pulled up to the
hotel we were astounded!!  There was the maroon Heep bus in the parking lot
of the same hotel we were staying at!!!  We knew it was the heep bus,
because the whole week before the Ohio show, Lannis and Mac were attending
shows and described the bus.

I got to meet the band in the lobby and that was so cool.  They were just
hanging.  I talked to Trevor for awhile about his new  Bowie project.  I
have a good follow up story, but will save that for my story about the
Virginia show.  Anyhow Barry and I went super early, and there was a
fireworks warehouse adjoining the concert field (it was and outdoor show) .
I was walking through the aisles and I picked up a package of fireworks
marked Sunrise.  I turned to Barry and said hey look Uriah Heep type
fireworks.  Just then 2 guys turned around and said "Let me see".  It was
Phil and Trevor, so funny.

Then we went to soundcheck and after awhile it was just Mick and Lee and Lee
started playing and singing My Sharona (the Knack???)

As show time approached, Barry and I secured front row chairs and that is
when I met Stan.  Wow very impressive, cool guy, with an immense amount of
musical knowledge and someone (like Jay Pearson as well) that was close in
my musical tastes.  So I always know if Stan likes, I will too.

Just before the show we met 2 interesting characters.  One guy was carrying
an urn with the ashes of a dead friend.  They had got tickets for the show,
but the one guy passed that week, so his friend brought him (Between Two
Worlds?).  The other character I noticed was stumbling all over the place,
as was wearing a tee shirt with a pic of a bee and the saying "I'm Buzzed".
There was an honest man, lol!!!

Show was terrific, even though Trevor blew his bass amp again, and Phil
filled in basslines on the keyboards during Stealin'.  Wow!!

Bob "All Heep is Good Heep" Winward