[Heeplist] New BMG releases review

Tapio Minkkinen tapio at uriah-heep.fi
Thu Sep 22 07:55:15 EDT 2016

Hi

I haven't been posting to this lately because it has seemed that either
my mails still aren't received by everyone or no-one is interested in
what I post as there hasn't been any replys.

Anyway, I received the two new BMG releases this week: As it was already
clear beforehand that on VEVU there wasn't going to be any unreleased
songs, just "alternate versions" of album tracks this wasn't as
interesting but I wanted to check these out anyway also because these
are the first Heep CD releases by BMG who bought the rights to the back
catalogue from Universal Music a few years ago. It would be interesting
to see if BMG could match with the same quality as the previous
remastered cd's released when Sanctuary was still an independent record
company.

The packaging of both releases looks very nice. Double CD digipacks in
gatefold sleeves, Lots of pictures, mainly album and single covers.
Perhaps too much pictures especially on VEVU as they take up over half
of the booklet's 20 pages so there's not so much space for information.
The most interesting part is comments from Mick Box and Ken Hensley
although they don't really include much new info that they haven't
already told in interviews many times before.

About the compilation: What can be said about this? Just another
best-of, nothing more. There have been tens of sets such as this
released over the years but I understand that BMG also wants to release
their own compilation. All songs (except one) are the original LP tracks
and mostly the same best known songs that have been included on all
earlier compilations - in chronological order as usual. The only special
things is the single edit of July Morning that has not been released on
CD before and released originally in Japan only. It looks like the
compilation hasn't been remastered like VEVU, at least in the sleeve
notes there's no mention of that. I have to check it out and compare if
there are differencies to earlier releases.

On VEVU original album credits are not included, only one page with
track listings. No info on line-up, who plays what, which of the three
drummers is playing on which track, Colin Wood who plays keyboards on
two tracks is not mentioned at all etc. This is the biggest fault in the
sleeve notes. Corich's notes on previous remasters were excellent and
very informative.

Then to the most important part: The music. I haven't listened to the
first album in a long time and I guess I haven't appreciated it as much
as the later albums because Ken Hensley joined in the middle of
recording and didn't have as much input on the songs. I must say this
sounds great, both original LP and alternate versions on CD2 that are
said to be previously unreleased.

I haven't yet had time to compare these to the versions of these songs
already released before but I have to check if there is something
significantly different. I also have to compare the new remastering done
by "renowned mastering engineer Andy Pearce" to see if this is better or
any different from the masterings done earlier by Robert Corich. Corich
has here only taken care of CD2. The addition of Spice recordings Born
In A Trunk & Magic Lantern and the first version of Bird Of Prey among
the album tracks brings more variety to the set and it's good.

As a roundup I would say that these releases are good if you already
don't already own the 1990's remasters and/or 2000's deluxe expanded
editions these are worth getting but you can live without buying these.
These are available - like just about all new releases these days - in
streaming services like Spotify so you don't necessarily have to get the
actual CD - or you can check it out beforehand if you're thinking of
buying.

I took some pictures of the artworks and I've uploaded them here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3ieVvskyTAlZnNJcHZnSHFnc00

I have prepared a page on my site dedicated to these BMG releases:
http://www.heepfiles.net/bmgre.htm where you can see track listings,
cover images etc.

Salisbury is the next in the reissue series to be released in the end of
October. This I believe will very soon be available for pre-ordering
from Pledge Music like these two releases were. The link to the project:
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/uriahheep

---
TapioM.
tapio at uriah-heep.fi