[Heeplist] Fwd: Ken to play UK

Don Malecic docofun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:19:29 EDT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Igor Shveitser* <zlenko_iv at mail.ru>
Date: Monday, 21 March 2016
Subject: [Heeplist] Ken to play UK
heeplist at travellersintime.com>, Don Malecic <docofun at gmail.com>

Thank you very much for resending my recent message to the list. I also
wanted to share something about Ken, his role in the band and more. I've
already sent this to Mr.Booth and then decided to make it more public due
to the fact that too many people here seemingly are not quite aware of what
happenned during Classic Heep era. So, some more thoughts on the topic of
"mean Hensley" :) I have a few thoughts about Ken, and I believe I have the
right to share them in order to clarify certain disputable points :) First
of all, without him, there would've never been such a band as Heep. Never.
No, he isn't the Heep himself (as some proclaim him to be), but most of his
songs are the most important ones - and they are the majority of all this
band has ever done. The majority of high quality material anyway, and you
can check it easily. Mick Box, Lee Kerslake, Trevor Bolder - over the years
they've said a lot with a certain purpose to blacken his image. I believe,
some of the facts are true, some are not. Unfortunately, Ken himself also
did a lot of such things, and - again - some thoughts of his are realistic
whilst the others don't make much sense to anyone who's got to a certain
level of Heep knowledge from the official (and not only) sources. His
latest interview with Mr.Wright is full of cynicsm and even major mistakes.
Still, no matter how nice or nasty he might appear to be, he was the main
driving force behind this band and without him they immediately slided down
to the state of, on one hand, camaraderie - which is positive, of course -
and mediocrity on the other. There's nothing magic about UH since he left.
They're a hard working act ever since, they make quality music which has
little if any relation to classic Heep which most of us fell in love
initially Sad truth is also that without the musicians (players) of Box and
Kerslake caliber Ken also degraded quite significantly, but for quite a
period afterwards he was still a better songwriter. Now, about Byron's
departure: if you've read the book about David, you must know by now that
he was a maximalist and didn't really want to carry on with the band which
was obviously not in its prime anymore and gradually going downhill. So I
am more than sure that in the end he wanted out with some money (which he
would've never obtained if decided to leave of his own accord officially)
to start a new carreer and leave Heep to its doomed fate. And you can see
such thoughts of his in the later interviews. "For Heep it was all over by
1976" - he said smth like this a few years later, and it was his firm
belief. You also know where it led him to, unfortunately, - without "evil"
Gerry and Ken. :))  So, don't blame Ken too much, he's no angel, of course,
but the blame for most of the mistakes lies on ALL of them including Gerry
(without whom this band would've never appeared, and you must know it).
Anyway, it is all in the bast now, so let's enjoy the terrific legacy that
ALL of them have left for us.
Cheers, Igor

Суббота, 19 марта 2016, 2:00 +04:00 от Don Malecic <docofun at gmail.com