[Heeplist] NHC Dream Theater and Ten Years After

Filip Björner filip.bjorner at live.se
Tue Mar 8 23:25:48 EST 2016

I remember from when I was on the Heeplist last time that when we talked about other bands several heepsters mentioned DreamTheater as one of their favourite bands. At that time I have never heard them. Last year I listened through all their studio records, and I was very disapointed. The music is interesting. They are skillful musicians, and some of the songs are very good compositions. But... I dont like their vocalists. There are only a few songs where I can enjoy the vocal, but unfortunately those songs are not among their best instrumental tracks.

In the 70ies there were several more or less interesting bands around, which I didnt buy any records of. I bought many records of many bands, but here I'm just going to mention a few bands which I didnt buy any records of. And the reason for this is that I had friends who was very into these bands, so I heard a lot of them in their homes, and that was enough. There was solo musicians such as Neil Young and Santana. And there was bands, such as REO Speedwagon, Blue Oyster Cult, BOC, Kansas, Rush etc. My friends played their records, and I didnt bother to buy them. One of those bands was Ten Years After. I heard them, now and then, and had no record with them.
Last year I listened through all studio records by Ten years After, and I found them at best being experimental and potential, rather then full fledged good song composers...
I listened through their records in chronological order, following my decision to listen through it all. And then suddenly I heard a record which blew my mind. It was made in 2004 and the name is "Now". It contains only eight tracks (which gives me a certain nostalgic LP feeling), with a nice mix of rockers and ballads. And I had never heard it before. And I just couldnt stop playing it. It is that damned good. And I just like to share this with you, in case you havent heard it, and want to hear something new and thrilling.My guess is that that record was produced by an excellent producer who guided the band through the process. Because in each of these songs they have managed to purify the gold and make the most of it.I have also heard a live album with them, made afterwards, and containing some of the songs from "Now". And that was disapointing. They dont deliver those songs well, so I can not recommend that live record. But I believe their poor live performance underscores my speculating point about what made the production of that studio album so good. I really guess it was due to a phantom producer.

I have also listened through all studio records by Lynyrd Skynyrd. That is a band which I like better than those two mentioned above. But none of their studio records was as good as that thrilling record made so late in their carreer by Ten Years After. The record I like best by Lynyrd Skynyrd is Edge of Forever. It sounds kinda mature.

Well... I really recommend listening to "Now", if you have missed it.