[Heeplist] Reacquainted someone with Heep

Igor Shveitser zlenko_iv at mail.ru
Tue Aug 26 15:00:23 EDT 2014

 Shaun,
Many will argue with that because for most of the list it is not Sonic Origami but Sea Of Light that got Heep back on the rock map again. I think, 1995 was great for Heep, they rewarded the faithful followers with a great record, somewhat stronger than its predecessors plus with Roger Dean's drawing on it. I honestly think there were some songs of the same (read - not very different from your average UH tracks of 80-90-s) kind on it, but some showed a real change of direction towards more epic and balladry side badly missed since Hensley left. At the same time, I felt even then it a bit strained for this band, they are not really natural born epic/ballade composers, and it partially proved the following CD which... sounded more natural to me. But Sea Of Light is still very good despite all the mentioned above plus having been recorded like a typical German heavy metal of the era which hardly was Heep's way before. But the likes of Against The Odds, Dream On and - especially! - Time Of Revelation ("I finally know where I'm going... now our journey's only just begun..." - how appropriate for that Heep!) and Universal Wheels sound great anyway be it live or in studio - they are great SONGS.
Cheers, Igor