[Heeplist] A new mix of 'Why'???

Tapio Minkkinen tapio at uriah-heep.fi
Wed Aug 20 04:15:24 EDT 2014

It is my strong belief that it is Mark Clarke on bass on The Wizard
and also on all versions of Why (except The Lansdowne Tapes version
with earlier line-up). I don't have actual definite proof but that is
what I believe based on information combined from different sources. I
know there are different opinions but it's just because people like to
think it's Gary Thain because Mark is not credited for his
contributions on the LP. The single The Wizard and Why on the b-side
was released in Germany in late February and the recordings are from
the session with Mark Clarke that happened before they started a US
tour. Gary Thain joined the band during the tour in early March and
the album recording sessions started then. They did not re-record the
bass parts as it's definitely the same version on the single and on
the album.

--
TapioM.
tapio at uriah-heep.fi