[Heeplist] My favourite Heep albums by member

Knut Svendsen knutsvendsen at icloud.com
Fri Aug 15 14:21:36 EDT 2014

Thought it would be fun to select my favourite Heep albums according to the musicians. here we go:

Wonderworld
David Byron - I thought he sang like he was the king of the world on this album. Wonderworld the song is great, Suicidal Man rocks, The Shadows and the Wind truly brought out the Beach Boys of heavy metal. Some say it was a weak album, I thought it was both an artistic and commercial triumph.

Sweet Freedom
Mick Box - Dreamer is my favourite Uriah Heep song. Penned by Mick and Gary Thain, it shows off all instruments and David´s voice in a heavy rock inferno that was years ahead of anything else in the world of music. Side 1 of this album is my no 1 all time rock album.

Magician´s Birthday
Ken Hensley - I believe this was Ken´s first triumph as a song writer extrordinaire. Many like Demons, but I always favoured MB with it´s darker songs. Rain, Sweet Lorraine and MB is as good as Heep gets.

Return to Fantasy
Lee Kerslake - The ultimate Heep drummer shines on Shady Lady and the whole album really. Maturing as a drummer, you hear a self-assured Lee bash the skins. Perfection.

Look at Yourself
Paul Newton - His intro to July Morning is the original and best. A fan of Thain´s, Paul does this one better. Surprised Newton left after this album that showed so much promise and delivered success.

Uriah Heep Live
Gary Thain - The one and only, Heep´s best musician, let me present to you - Gary Thain!!! Four pints, a pair of headphones, and the vinyl edition of this album proves that Gary kicks anyone´s ass. Sweet Lorraine, Tear in My Eyes, Rock and Roll Medley; no one´s ever played bass like that, nuff said.

Firefly
Trevor Bolder & John Lawton - Losing Gary then David was a shock. David was Mr Uriah Heep and a founding member. The show must go on, and Firefly was a powerful album though not the Heep we used to know.

Wake the Sleeper
Phil Lanzon - Keeping the band alive after numerous changes might seem like exploiting the Heep name. I didm´t care much for many of the Heep albums of the 1980s and 90s. WTS was a breath of fresh air - they finally got it! An album worth the wait, and Phil playing rock organ like we wanted him to.

Outsider
Bernie Shaw - Useless to compare singers. I have met Bernie a couple of times. Fantastic guy and showman. Outsider is the best of the ´new´ Heep. Also Rimmer and Russell gel in what is the best Heep album of the modern era IMHO.

So there you have it!

Knut