[Heeplist] 1981 cassette recording?

David Amendolara mail4hamurabi at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 07:02:02 EDT 2014

Tapio brings up some interesting points! I never really pondered the fact that Heep must have been auditioning singers after Sloman, and to my ears whoever is singing these tracks, is neither Sloman nor Goalby. And like Tapio, I also don't think it is Trevor singing. His voice may have changed a bit over the years (as most singers' voices do) but not to this degree.

So either it was an audition tape of sorts, or someone (Greg Dechert was mentioned, I believe?) put a guide vocal to the backing tracks. And god, I still cannot believe how awful the backing vocals were on the first track :-D

As an aside, I do hope the unreleased Sloman album gets some sort of release. Wish they'd do a Kickstarter / crowdfunding of sorts for it, or allow a sort of "internet only" pre-subscribe release via the website. Put out the Sloman and Goalby rarities as an official bootleg or something - whatever! They bothered to re-release the original Conquest and Goalby albums (twice?) so why not go ahead and put it out there?

D.