[Heeplist] 1981 cassette recording?

Tapio Minkkinen tapio at uriah-heep.fi
Sun Aug 10 04:30:38 EDT 2014

Very interesting tape. People seem to be pretty narrow minded as the
discussion for example in Facebook has been mainly a debate of whether
it's Sloman or Goalby. At least to me it was clear after a couple of
listens that the person singing on the tape is neither one. The first
option I then thought was it could be Trevor Bolder as Think It Over
is credited to Bolder and Sloman and if this was Trevor's song
originally then it would be quite normal for him to sing lead on the
demo. However, it does not sound like Trevor either. The backing track
of Think It Over sounds the same as the original single version
(axcper this is longer, the single version was edited shorter) so I
have no doubt this is from the 1980 sessions with Greg Dechert. Who,
where and when has lead down the lead vocals is then anybody's guess.
I remember reading from somewhere that Think I Over was used to test
the vocalist candidates when Goalby was chosen so the most logical
explanation would be that this is a tape by someone who auditioned at
the same time in 1981. This would explain also why there are only two
songs on the tape when it is a know fact that Heep recorded an album's
worth of material at these sessions. Hopefully this will be clarified
sometime and the "mystery vocalist" revealed.

--
TapioM.
tapio at uriah-heep.fi

www.uriah-heep.fi