[Heeplist] Analog music recording

Heepfan1 ehallib at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 26 14:51:08 EDT 2014

You're right, Iain;  everyone has an opinion.  I believe that one should enjoy whatever method of delivery.  For me,vinyl sounds much better than digital on a high end system but only on a high end recording and only for acoustic instruments, particularly in an orchestra were there is so much more dynamic range and bandwidth. On rock, I typically have not been able to notice enough of a difference to invest in a high end turntable. If I was a big classical music fan I would already have purchased the necessary turntable to go with my pretty good sound system.

That being said, analog recordings sound warmer and slightly less etched.  This is due mainly to the even-ordered distortion harmonics artifacts that are created by tube amplifiers.  Digital distortion is odd-ordered which sounds slightly more harsh.  But, again, to each his own.  I am just mentioning why many people prefer analog or digital... all of the time.

Ed