[Heeplist] My Outsider review

Mac Steagall rsteagall at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jun 24 23:31:01 EDT 2014

Very thoughtful review, Igor!  There are points
with which I would disagree with but that's to be
expected. You say that the current lineup has its
roots in the 80s. I can understand that
viewpoint  but I'd say it's real roots are in the
early 90s and the Sea of Light album is where the
modern band really found it's mojo. I agree
that  anyone expecting  to hear 70s Heep on
Outsider will be disappointed but that's  an
unrealistic expectation. I think that's Heep's
releases since 1995 has certainly established the
character and individuality of modern Heep. The
first Shaw era releases not so much. The one
regret I have for post '95 Heep was the gap in
albums releases from 1998 to 2008. I think the
band lost a lot of momentum  by holding out for a
record deal. That being said,  going to Frontiers
seems to have been a move of genius. Heep being
on the charts in multiple countries on two
straight releases is quite the accomplishment. I
even found 3 copies of  Outsider in the F.Y.E.
store in Ocala, FL this week.  I hope the band
will do a ballad or two on their next album if there is one.

Mac

At 02:07 PM 6/24/2014, you wrote:
> [...]
> Cheers, Igor Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:44:04 -0700
> от Jay Pearson <deepheep at yahoo.com>: >This is
> excellent, Igor! Well done! I'm almost ready to
> write my review now! > >Jay >sp -
> Outsider > >------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------- >From: Igor
> Shveitser <zlenko_iv at mail.ru> >Hello
> everyone, >As promised, here's the review of
> the latest LP. Be as strict as you can,
> constructive criticism is ALWAYS better for me
> than indulging approval. I hope, musicians also
> feel that way, at least sometimes.
> :)))))))) > >URIAH HEEP >Outsider >Frontiers
> records/Soyuz >9 /10 >Recording of a modern
> hard rock LP is similar to cooking a dish from
> an in advance known and not really various set
> of products. In this case products ­ certain
> touchees, harmonies, sounds by which we
> actually determine the identity of a group. And
> freshness is still very much in demand. No, not
> freshness of ideas, - crucial innovations in
> the genre have not been present for some 30
> years now, - but of the mood. Mick Box and Phil
> Lanzon ­ the maiin driving force behind modern
> Uriah Heep throughout  all those "not
> innovative" three decades ­ without any
> exaaggeration managed to create if not a
> masterpiece still an album without obvious
> shortcomings and filled with mood. The mood is
> the drive. >Any of the genre’s classics
> including Black Sabbath or Deep Purple
> can’t afford themselves to be as crazy as
> modern Heep in, for example, the Outsider
> itself or tongue-in-cheek Say Goodbye. The disk
> is generally filled with fast, fervent songs.
> If the captious Heep’ or style’s
> connoisseur objects: “All of this doesn’t
> have much to do with real vintage Uriah Heep,
> tracks of the level of "that" group are still
> vitally necessary, - I will give a cutting
> answer: “that group” isn't around since mid
> 70-s, and copy is always worse than original.
> The same titled modern group is very good in
> its own way. Probably, even better than ever.
> And it’s not that certain Box-Byron-Hensley
> incarnation of UH could give the same fierce
> hell then as Box-Lanzon-Shaw one can now.
> Knowing almost by heart all of Uriah Heep
> releases, I dare to claim: in terms of  an
> entire album Mick Box ne-ver did his fretwork
> with such inspiration and passion. Perhaps, his
> job on Abominog was of the same kind, but the
> album was not. And composition-wise there’s
> never been such variety since Byron's
> departure. Besides, regarding rhythmical
> aspect, the group also obviously opened a new
> page in their book. >Let us also not forget
> about the state which musicians were in prior
> to recording the Outsider. It was necessary to
> reject sad thoughts of terrestrial life’s
> caducity, cease mourning Trevor Bolder's loss
> how ever dear he was to the band, and integrate
> into recording process the new creative link ­
> Daave Rimmer, the bassist. As Bernie Shaw sings
> in the most recently made traditional Heep kind
> of shuffle, "There’s one thing in life which
".
> Undoubtedly, these words are applicable to
> Davey.  He, as the new record shows, is
> perfectly able to play music in that pulsing,
> walking heepy manner, with air filling
> glissandos. We won’t also take away from UH
> the ability to make a right choice. It concerns
> not only the one of a bass player, but also the
> album’ format in many ways. First, there’s
> an excellent cover art somehow reminding Storm
> Thorgerson’ works made for Pink Floyd.
> Secondly, there’s a variety of its forms ­
> standard CD, Â  digipack, bonused Japanese
> release, download, two kinds of vinyl platters
> and even a set with a t-shirt. Thirdly, timing
> limited by 50 minutes means we are in the reign
> of a classical hard rock album. However crucial
> are the compositions. Sending us back to late
> 80-s Heep (which strictly speaking Mick Box&
> Co. still are) even if only a little, the songs
> are an example of cleverly synthesized all eras
> of a genre with various dynamics. For instance,
> our title track is almost heavy metal, The Law
> brings in both funky main part and progressive
> middle-section which has a place for both forte
> and pianissimo. >Jessie ­ heree’s truly a
> hit! - its intro is a very cunningly processed
> allusion on Smoke on the Water (same both
> harmony and key) while the verse part is rather
> a stadium kind of heavy pop rock of the
> 80-s.  Rocking and rolling Rock The Foundation
> resurrects distinct spirit of
 that’s