[Heeplist] A 2 review on Amazon

lethridge@carolina.net . lethridge at carolina.net
Mon Jun 23 11:55:25 EDT 2014

Do you remember the first time you stumbled upon a Uriah Heep album? I sure do, 1973, through the old Columbia Record Club. They pummeled their way into my head with a mixture of heavy Sabbath/Purple style rock mixed with weird, progressive flourishes, tempo and time signature change-ups, and positive, mystical lyrical imagery. I was hooked for life, bought everything they've ever produced, and have seen them over 30 times in concert. So I always eagerly await every new release like that 13 year old kid did. The current line-up (mostly, RIP Trevor) has really only managed two Masterworks that rival their 1970's heyday in the last 30 years - "Sea of Light" and "Wake The Sleeper", and sadly, this release is not from that headspace. This is clearly the work of a band that is just playing out the string. Yeah, Bernie's voice is still one of the best in the business, Phil knows how to make a Hammond roar, and Mick Box's riffs are chunky as hell and his solos and phrasing are still top shelf. But the damn thing is a bore. Nothing here that made the old records great. No willingness to experiment, no interesting instrumentation, and no fanciful imagery. Just one track after another that sounds just like the last one, with mostly uninspired lyrics to boot. Of course I don't expect a Demons and Wizards or Return To Fantasy from these guys anymore, but I do pray that at least one more time they can pull out a Sea of Light or Wake the Sleeper before they give up the ghost. Skip the record and go see 'em live if you can, they're still at the top of their game when they're onstage

Heep On, Lannis

Personally, I love Outsider. How can a true Heep fan give a Heep album a 2 out 5???