[Heeplist] Stephen Fontaine!

Rick Wilson rick.wilson.292768100 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 05:54:52 EDT 2014

Hi, All!

Recently, I have gone back to review the nearly thirty years that Bernie &
Phil have been members of The Heep.  Whilst doing so, I was reminded of the
short tenure of Steff Fontaine in the band, which was nothing more than a
couple of months from July to September, 1985 touring the U.S. & Canada.

In fact, I had seen The Heep twice in 1985: April 11th in Munich and the
12th in Biberach, where I was able to speak shortly with Pete Goalby, Lee
Kerslake & Mick Box.  These being the second and third times that I had
seen the band after seeing them the first time in December, 1983 in the old
Ulmer Donauhalle.

So, I was rather surprised when I had heard that Pete would be leaving the
band, and that the relative unknown Mr. Fontaine would be replacing him.
 There were actually tour posters hung for potential gigs with him that did
not happen in November of 1985.

Suffice it to say that by early 1986, Bernie had joined the band, and the
rest, as they say, is history.  I did, however, stumble across Steff's
MyPage, and was able to get a listen of four cuts from his band, "Heartache
City".

Stephen Fontaine, as he goes by these days, sounds to me like a Mark
Slaughter/Robert Fleischmann-type singer on these songs.  Not exactly my
cup of tea, but the three songs that I could hear do sound pretty decent.
 One could go here: https://myspace.com/stefffontaine to check them out for
yourself.  "Some Gotta Win" being the best, and "Thunder & Lightning"
showing some of the "Journey" style vocals that he is known for.

Keeping it real,

Rick
[?]

--