[Heeplist] Heep at Holmirth Part 1

BARNES IAN i.barnes3 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 9 18:31:40 EST 2014

*Holmfirth 7th February 2014*

As usual I tend to write more of a story of my Heep experience rather than
an out and out review so if you have the time here is that story.

As many know I am out of work and as luck would have it I had to sign on at
11 40.  I was pressed for time as my train was to leave at 12 03.  I
arrived early hoping to be seen early.  I was asked to sit at the entrance
end of the building, I asked the lady telling me this 'are you sure as I
always go the far end of the building'.  I think you can guess the rest!  I
was being called at the far end as usual but being at the opposite end of
the building I couldn't hear my name.  After causing a bit of a fuss I was
eventually told to go down the far end and someone would see asap. They did
apologise but it was a bad start to a potentially great day.

Obviously I had missed the train that I had planned to get.  This would
have been two trains followed by a bus to Holmfirth.  Luckily I had a
backup plan which was a little later and an extra train.  To cut a long
story a little shorter the second train for whatever reason was terminated
a stop earlier than scheduled, at least there was a train waiting to
continue to the desired station but after we had all transferred trains it
looked as if I would miss my train to Huddersfield.  We eventually arrived
on platform 13 at Manchester 4 minutes before this final train but this was
on platform 1 as far away as you could get.  Not to stretch your
imaginations too far it was probably a funny sight to see someone of my
considerable weight semi jogging to make this train.  Luckily a lady was in
front of me and was heading speedily for the same train; the guard was
ready to wave his flag and could see us coming down the platform.  Luckily
my pacemaker lol and I made it by literally seconds.  The train was moving
before I had chance to sit down.  Sun was belting through the window and
after my rush I was boiling up but happy I'd made my final train.  It was
easy to find the bus station after arriving in Huddersfield and I again
just made my planned bus by the skin of my teeth.

I arrived just before 3pm and as I couldn't check in until 3pm I decided to
see if I could find Sid's cafe which is a cafe used in a 35 year long
running sitcom filmed in Holmfirth about a bunch of old friends daily life
named Last of the Summer Wine.  A dear friend who has terminal cancer loves
this programme so I thought I'd find the cafe and post a photo on Facebook
for him.  Luckily I crossed the main road and to my surprise it was there
in front of me.  I took that photo with my phone and sent it to Facebook.  I
looked back across the road to see a few Heep fans going into the pub/hotel
so decided I'd get my key as it was just past 3pm now.  As I approached the
door there was Dougie the Mega stood in the doorway, I called him a bastard
as he'd tricked me the day before by telling me he couldn't make it,
typical Dougie lol. He'd just had a beer with Mick, Davey and I think
Bernie so he was a happy bunny, especially with Mick paying lol.

I got my key and entered the bar to see Kev and Yvonne who many will
know.  Lovely
couple who follow Heep all over Europe.  It was great to meet them again so
I went to the bar, got myself double spiced rum and joined them for a chat.
Dougie then joined us too.  Just minutes later peter Kenyon joined us.
Peter was Trevor's best friend and did a reading at his funeral.  They were
very close.  I knew who he was but had never met him so introduced myself,
he knew me from Facebook and the forum from years past.  Peter who was with
his lovely fiancé Tracy was a bit irritated at this point because the
venues security wouldn't let Peter into the venue even though he was on
Mick's guest list.  I think Scampi finally sorted things out and a little
later Peter returned with stories and memories of Trevor.  It was nice and
fitting as this was in the same county as Trevor lived even though it was
on the opposite side of the county.  Pete Wharton had now arrived and
joined us, I love Pete he's a great guy. More stories, memories etc
continued as did the spiced rum.  I'm not sure on the timescales but Elina
from Holland and Joe Keenan joined us.  I had met both before but only for
a very short period of time.  Elina is lovely and I enjoyed talking with
her for quite some time.  Mike Taylor arrived later with his niece and
nephews who live about 20 minutes away from the venue.  It's always a
pleasure to meet Mike, such a happy friendly guy even when showing me
photos of when Man City recently beat my football team Blackburn Rovers.  We
Brits love to wind each other up lol.  Another well known Heep couple
joined us and I must apologise for never being able to remember their names.
Many had eaten by now and time moved on with more Heep talk, general
catching up and more spiced rum.  I was beginning to feel a little
intoxicated but it was a nice feeling with the thought of Heep and superb
company.  Time was moving on and we were all happy to miss the support
band, as good as Virgil and the Accelerators are we had all seen them
before.  Basically time with friends is much better and more valued.  Damian
had now turned up, lovely guy who often posts on the list.  We chatted and
mingled and generally had a great time.  The pub wasn't as full as previous
visits so we were a little worried that the venue wouldn't be full.  The
night previous hadn't been the best by all accounts with a poor turnout.  We
eventually set off to the venue which is about a 10 second walk from
leaving the pub, yes that close.

We entered the venue and I was delighted to see that we needn't have
worried; the place was full or very close to it.  The support band had
posted it was a sell-out on Facebook so that would be 500 inside this
wonderfully small compact old picture house.  This is the third time Heep
had visited this venue in just over 5 years.  They love it as the sound is
incredible and the atmosphere electric on a Friday night.  I remember
Christos encouraging fans to go to Holmfirth for the first time in 2008 as
he'd worked the venue before and said the acoustics were the best. We got
there about 10 minutes before Heep came on stage.  Heep got the usual
rapturous welcome and they thundered into Against The Odds.  They were loud
powerful but no distortion.  The sound was spot on with all instruments
clearly audible as was Bernie.  Overload followed and I turned my attention
to Davey to watch him for the very first time.  The guy is classy and
accurate.  I met John Jowitt last year in Manchester who was a lovely guy
and a great player but it was clear Davey fits Heep better than John.
Musically
both great but Davey is already putting his own personality into place
within the band.  I've watched many YouTube clips of Davey and you can see
the extra confidence he now has and how his stage presence has come on
leaps and bounds. Davey has also added some party tricks to his act and you
can tell that he gets on with the rest of the guys.  Davey stands on the
edge of Russell's kit basically in a line with Mick at times and constantly
interacts with Phil.  He now just doesn't play with Heep he plays as a part
of Heep.  His style is closer to Trevor's than John's was but definitely
different.  Davey can play and his fingers moving at pace were a joy to
watch, his rhythm and timing is spot on.  Trevor was so fast his fingers
were a blur; I doubt anyone could match Trevor's style or standing but
Davey is a first class addition and a credit to Heep's legacy of great
bassists. A special mention for Phil who continues to hit every note and
shines with his prominent part on Overload, I feel Phil doesn't always get
enough mentions throughout reviews and I'm as guilty of that fact.  I
suppose because he's so perfect there's no need to mention him that much as
we all know his excellence and contribution.  Fact is Phil is awesome and
has mastered his performance to excel and delight each performance. This
was the usual set list from the past 2 years with no surprises, in theory
this could be seen as a negative but any such thoughts vanish instantly
when such a performance unfolds in front of your eyes. Next was Travellers
in Time which always goes down a storm.  Russell can really belt those
skins during this one.  We then travelled through the 70's with awesome
performances of Sunrise and the cloud pleasing sing a long Stealin'.  Bernie
was sensational and hit every note with ease.  You have to admire a guy who
can put on a show like this, yes it's an act he's perfected over the years
and many of us know the next word he will say but he always adds something
new and relevant to that particular crowd, venue or atmosphere.  It was
clear that Bernie loved the crowd's interaction and adoration. It was at
this point I noticed Davey's voice coming through and working well with
Mick's higher tones.  It was a worry of mine regarding harmonies but Davey
has obviously been working on that and is doing a great job to add quality
to that side of his performance.  His voice is relatively deep, not like
Lee Kerslake but deep enough to enhance Heep's sound.  Whilst I'm back on
Davey I love how he's created his own party tricks and moves on stage.  Davey
also does an upward look and points to the Heaven's as a tribute to Trevor.
I saw it and thought that might be the case, later I got to confirm this.  Our
first visit to the Into the Wild album rolled out with I'm Ready executed
and received to perfection.  Then to the realms of Between Two Worlds,
probably the first time I'd looked over to Mick for a continued period.  By
the way I was standing with Pete and Mike in front of Davey.  Approx 4 or 5
deep from the stage, I'm a short ass and had much taller fans in front of
me so it was a little struggle to see Mick.  It was a struggle worthwhile
as Mick standing there happy as always eased through BTW with a classy
performance and the usual party tricks.  Mick is so genuine and his
personality shines and flows through the audience, you can feel his joy
knowing the audience is fully in sync with the band. The power is awesome
on this song and heightens to a rumble that vibrates through your body
without any loss in quality.  This rumble would return and be surpassed
later.  Back to the ITW album and Russell scares you to death as he pounds
the opening beat for Nail On The Head.  Always a song that you think could
be replaced but by the end of it such thoughts have vanished as the steady
increase of beat and volume sneaks up on you until Bernie's final Yeah! We
move onto my favourite ITW track and a favourite full stop, it's the title
track and Davey and Russell really stand out on this one beating a rhythm
Balloo bear would have found irresistible.  I just love the chorus building
and building until Russell attempts to break his kit. In fact at one point
Russell did manage this and there was a slight delay while the techs
replaced a symbol.  He's amazing to watch.  Another step back in time to
the first Heep song I knowingly ever heard and the reason I'm writing this
today.  Gypsy is the song and without hearing that one day on an album a
childhood friend was throwing in the bin I doubt I would have ever
discovered Heep.  This holds a very special place in my heart and Heep
nailed this tonight, such power and hard riffs had the crowd to a new time
high.  What a performance!  As usual Gypsy flows straight into the
sensational Look at Yourself. A fantastic song made even better with the
reasonably new extended ending with Mick showing off his undoubted skills
in front of a crowd willing to soak up the ever increasing beat and volume.
Davey really does a great job on this track and I'm sure Trevor would have
been smiling down with approval as Davey succeeded to add stamp his own
mark blending beautifully with Mick who'd took centre stage with Davey at
Russell's level in behind Mick increasing the rhythm with the help of an
eager Russell who was intent to lift off before the crescendo.  The crowd
went berserk at the end of this track and I suspect I wasn't the only one
glad of a breather to remove the vibration in my head after such a great
jam.  That breather came in the form of the crowd pleasing Lady in Black.  We
all say it's not our favourite but I bet we all sing along happily and
loudly.  Bernie usually has to prompt the crowd to sing louder but no need
on this evening, they just sang their hearts out and Bernie was clearly
delighted.  Whether it's the venue, a Friday night or the alcohol consumed
this was a special performance from band and crowd alike.  Bernie milked
the applause at the end and was joined by all band members to take in the
adoration.  Heep disappeared briefly off stage whilst the crowd clapped and
chanted for their return, obviously Heep obliged and we then prepared for
Free n Easy.  Mick thanked the crowd for coming and promoted the gig at
Koko's in March for the live recording.  He also stated that they should
have recorded this show in Holmfirth, tongue in cheek or not it would have
made a fantastic DVD.  A small venue with a sold out crowd eager for
quality rock music would have been the ideal backdrop for a video
shoot.  Anyway
back to the music, Mick invited the girls up and maybe half a dozen
immediately came up on stage including my beautiful friends Yvonne and
Elina.  Mick and Bernie then prompted some young girls who were front
centre to come up and they duly obliged making the small stage full and
ready to rock.  Heep played Free n Easy fast and hard and the girls did it
more than justice.  A massive cheer went up at the end for the band and the
girls before Heep attacked Easy Livin' which had everyone rocking.  Bernie
even prompted the crowd to sing the higher pitched middle section and again
the crowd didn't disappoint. Heep had conquered Holmfirth again and
deserved the rapturous applause coming their way.  Davey, Russell and Phil
shook hands with the front rows and it was clear the band had really
enjoyed the show as did the delighted audience.  Land of Hope and Glory
faded into the night as did Heep for I'm sure a well deserved drink and
some justified self satisfaction.