[Heeplist] Billboard's list of #14 Hits for 2014!

Rick Wilson futureprimitive1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 00:24:15 EST 2014

Hi, All!

Yes, I know, any Heep fan in his or her right mind could care less about
the Billboard charts, yet I found this list quite impressive:

*"Let's Go," The Cars, 1979*

*"Bad Case of Lovin' You," Robert Palmer, 1979*

*"Jane," Jefferson Starship, 1980*

*"If Anyone Falls," Stevie Nicks, 1983*

*"Take Me to Heart," Quarterflash, 1983*

*"Major Tom (Coming Home)," Peter Schilling, 1983*

*"Digging Your Scene," the Blow Monkeys, 1986*

*"Missionary Man," the Eurythmics, 1986*

*"When The Heart Rules the Mind," GTR, 1986*

*"Sanctify Yourself," Simple Minds, 1986*

*"I'll Be Alright Without You," Journey, 1987*

*"I Need Love," LL Cool J, 1987*

*"Crazy," Icehouse, 1988*

*"Iko Iko," the Belle Stars, 1989*

*"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," Brenda Lee, 1960*

*"I Saw Her Standing There," the Beatles, 1964*

*"New York City Mining Disaster 1941 (Have You Seen My Wife, Mr. Jones?),"
Bee Gees, 1967.*

*"Give Peace a Chance," John Lennon/Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, 1969*

*"So Far Away," Carole King, 1971*

*"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight," James Taylor, 1973.*

*"Free Ride," the Edgar Winter Group, 1973*

*"Who Are You?," The Who?, 1978*

*"Soul Man," the Blues Brothers, 1979*

*"One Hundred Ways," Quincy Jones featuring James Ingram, 1982*

*"Baby Jane," Rod Stewart, 1983*

*"The Longest Time," Billy Joel, 1983*

*"Along Comes a Woman," Chicago, 1985.*

*"I Wanna Go Back," Eddie Money, (written by Gregg Rolie of "Santana" &
"Journey" fame!) 1987*

*"The Pleasure Principle," Janet Jackson, 1987*

*"Everywhere," Fleetwood Mac, 1988.*

*"We All Sleep Alone," Cher, 1988*

*"Dressed for Success," Roxette, 1989*

*"Tender Love," Babyface, 1990*

*"You Don't Have to Go Home Tonight," The Triplets, 1991.*

*"Who Is It," Michael Jackson, 1993*

*"Rain," Madonna, 1993*

*"Mary Jane's Last Dance," Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, 1993*

*"In the House of Stone and Light," Martin Page, 1995*

*"This Ain't a Love Song," Bon Jovi (not P.i.L.), 1995*

*"Time," Hoot(ch)ie & the Blowfish, 1995*

*"I Will Remember You (Live)," Sarah McLachlan, 1999.*

*"She's So High," Tal Bachman, 1999*

*"From the Bottom of My Broken Heart," Britney Spears, 2000.*

*"Otherside," the Red Hot Chili-Peppers, 2000*

*"I Hope You Dance," Lee Ann Womack, 2001*

*"South Side," Moby featuring Gwen Stefani, 2001*

*"Superman (It's Not Easy)," Five for Fighting, 2001*

*"Days Go By," Dirty Vegas, 2002.*

*"Sing for the Moment," Eminem, 2003*

*"The First Cut Is the Deepest," Sheryl Crow, 2004*

*"A Public Affair," Jessica Simpson, 2006*

*"Here (In Your Arms)," Hellogoodbye, 2007*

*"Misery," Maroon 5, 2010*

*"Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall," Coldplay, 2011*

*"You Da One," Rihanna, 2011*

*"Unconditionally," Katy Perry, 2013.*

Of course, sadly, this is a U.S. only list.  Believe it or not, The Heep
have actually had one #14 song, in Germany, the double-A-sided single,
"Spiderwoman" b/w "Sunrise", which was always a favourite of mine.  Also,
in the albums chart Heep have had a few #14s:

"Look at Yourself" in Norway;

"Demons & Wizards" in Australia;

"Sweet Freedom" in Denmark;

and, "The Ultimate Collection", again in Norway.

I have no access to the UK link, perhaps Eddie or someone who would know
could check and let us know about the band's #14 chart positions, if any,
in the U.K.  Lastly, I checked-out that "Kensley" (lol) radio interview
that was posted yesterday, and yes, the DJ does a good job with "Kensley"
as he calls him one time, and even plays around six tracks of Kensley's
(This reminds me of Kenzi from the "Lost Girl"!  lol  Perhaps Ken is now
the "Lost Boy"?)  I was taken aback and totally surprised when Kensley
stated that he was not at all satisfied with "The Magician's Birthday",
feeling that it comes across unfinished, or so I recollect.  If one of the
greatest Rock albums of all-time is unfinished, then let's hope that they
all are, because when a band has the luxury of sitting in a studio for
months polishing solos, etc. it usually takes away from the spontaneity and
overall sound, in my humble opinion.

In any case, I predict that if Kensley will record at least one song with
The Heep on the new disc that it will be Heep's highest chart entry in four
decades; so, bury the hatchet, guys, and hop to it!

Rick

[?]

--
http://about.me/rick.wilson