[Heeplist] Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal of 2013?

Igor Shveitser zlenko_iv at mail.ru
Sun Jan 5 20:31:55 EST 2014

 Bob,
I must admit, none of the original musicians was (is, or has ever been) completely replaceable. However, with Heep it is a whole different story since Mr. Box now is the only link with the past. And he is the trade mark owner, if I get it right. And he's always been associated only with Heep, like, say, Andy Powell with Wishbone Ash. :) They keep some good old times spirit alive, also legally those gentlemen almost equal their respective band's name. Having said that, there is no way I underrate abilities of the rest, but let's face it: they have nothing to do with their bands glory. They are just working for the famous companies - let's put it that way.  Ritchie's case was always different: he is quite a well-established (and acknowledged) artist himself and so are Deep Purple (two Ians and Roger are not less popular and glorified than Ritchie, at least in terms of Deep Purple) without him no matter whether one likes it or not... Plus, there was Tommy Bolin - and with him we have a true Purple classic called Come Taste The Band. Plus, Steve Morse never was a dark horse, plus Don Airey is also quite a name...To me, Ritchie's departure from DP (where he spent  appr. one third (17 of 50 years) of his recording carreer) wasn't a major disappointment, he and that band had it all wrong by the end of 1993, and afterwards both parted sides looked at last quite comfortably settled in all aspects including the most important ones - creative and commercial. So it was a good move. Now, if Mick Box calls it a day - there is simply no more excuse for the rest of the band to call themselves Uriah Heep. However, I hope this won't  happen in the near future for there is quite a following which, of course, mostly comes to hear July Morning but also some of them don't mind to "put a nail right on the head" :)))).
Cheers, Igor

Суббота,  4 января 2014, 11:15 -05:00 от Bob Winward <uriahheep at comcast.net>:
>In order for the post to make sense you have to click on the link.  There
>are videos for the first few top songs, but the one I want to comment on is
>the Deep Purple one, I raved about this cd earlier in 2013, but this video
>first all is the coolest video I have seen since the early 80's when the
>Tubes did "She's a Beauty".  As a fan of old horror flicks it was great to
>see the clips of Vincent Price.  The clips of DP are "Price-less" too,
>pardon the pun.  I was watching the guitar work of Steve Morse, he has to be
>the most under rated guitarist, the guy is phenomenal.  Lets be honest, if
>Mick left Heep none of us would iike his replacement.  You cannot replace
>guys like Blackmore.  Anyhow, the musicianship and vocals on this song are
>second to none. A strong song on a truly strong, progressive cd!
>
>Also note I am about 1/10th the fan of DP as I am of Heep and for as much as
>I love Heep 1/10th is good!
>

>On 1/4/14 5:14 AM, "Rick Wilson" < futureprimitive1 at gmail.com > wrote:
>
>>  http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/songs-of-the-year-top-50/
>>
>> I have yet to hear the new "Coney Hatch", which would certainly be a
>> favourite in advance, but as I said The Head's "Aftershock" was pretty
>> phenomenal; and, honourable mentions to "The Winery Dogs" and "The Dead
>> Daisies".  I know that many of YOU liked "Deep Purple", "Black Star Riders"
>> (With their horrific name and all!) and The Sabs, but I think even "Alice
>> in Chains" delivered more than the 3/4 Sabs; and, it was nice to hear some
>> Bowie again even if it was without Reeves Gabrels and Carlos Alomar.
>>
>> Rick
>> [?]

Igor Shveytser