[Heeplist] New Boston cd out today

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Fri Dec 6 07:39:07 EST 2013

I found a best buy in my 7 hours of driving yesterday.  I had a $5 USD
rewards certificate so I got the new Boston CD for $5.29 in US Dollars.
After 1 listen, I feel I got my $5 worth.  First off, the debut album from
Boston was so great, nothing could ever measure up to it.  As for the new
cd, I liked about 3 songs right off the bat.  I only got 1 listen, as I
bought in late afternoon, for the last hour of my travelling.

It sounds like the Boston formula. The sound of the instrumentation however
is purely the Boston (Tom S) style. Layers of sound, guitars and keyboards.
It seems to me (just my opinion, not fact) the band is basically 1 guy Tom
Sholz.  Some of the tracks on this cd were recorded many years ago.  I
counted 3 songs that credit the lead vocals to Brad Delp (RIP).  Please do
not take this as fact, as I was looking at the cd inlay while driving on the
expressway (Pennsylvania Turnpike). They also feature a female vocalist and
the replacement guy on the rest of the tracks.

    I partially agree with Jay that this will not measure up to the debut
lp, however it sounds very listenable and likeable to me.  It is hard to
classify the music, but at one time we could  have used the term MOR (middle
of the road)  I am sure a couple of the songs will get airplay on the local
station that plays Taylor Swift a lot and Sammy Davis Jr. (remember him
singing "The Candy Man"?  Well the local MOR station still plays that tune..
"Who can make the sun rise...."

Coming out with one cd every 10 years is hard for a band to stay relevant.
Especially with such a strong debut lp, there is no upside.  It is not
horrible, very pleasant to listen to.