[Heeplist] My 1st Concert!

Rick Wilson futureprimitive1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 14:03:53 EST 2013

Hi, Shawn, Todd, Igor, et all!

My first concert should have been Alice Cooper in 1972, but my parents
decided that I should not be permitted because my brother claimed that
there would be too much violence, booze and marijuana; he was right, of
course.  I seen a local band called, "Legend" play in my grade school
around 1975, if that counts.  lol  My parents denied me again on "Grand
Funk Railroad" shinin' on in 1974, as well as many others including The
Sabs a few times, sadly.  "No satanic music!", they claimed.  In 1978, "Van
Halen" were even opening for them.  Jiminy Cricket!  I almost got to see
"UFO" with Tonka on guitar in 1980, but my chaperone declined at the last
minute.  I seen a local Country-Rock band named, "Bramble" open for Tom T.
Hall in a free concert put on by the city of Dayton, Ohio circa 1978, if
that counts.  lol  And, I don't even like beer.  Finally, while visiting my
relatives in Freeport, Texas, south of Houston, I got to see terrible Ted
Nugent headlining over The Scorps and the amazing, young upstarts "Def
Leppard" in June, 1980; I was 16 years old.  Just a month later, back in
Dayton, I saw the same two opening bands set the stage for "Judas Priest",
my favourite band at the time.  My first concert as a soldier stationed in
Germany was Ozzy opening for "Whitesnake" on November 26, 1982.  My first
Monsters of Rock was in 1983 in Nuernberg with "Twisted Sister" opening for
"Saxon", "Motorhead", "Thin Lizzy" (Their last concert ever!), Meat Loaf,
"Blue Oyster Cult" (w/ their Godzookie behind the drumkit), and again
"Whitesnake".  I was very lucky to see all of the Monsters of Rock that
were held in Germany while I was stationed and living there.  My first
"Uriah Heep" gig was in 1983 in Ulm, Germany with Stan Webb's Chicken Shack
supporting.  That was also the first gig that I saw together with my
wife-to-be.  My first concert as a singer with a band was in 1988 with my
Jugendband as ze Germans call it, "Scarlet Vision".  It wasn't until
September 10, 2001 that I sang my first paying gig with "Future
Primitive"... which nearly no-one remembers now, I wonder why.  My first
concert as a Radio D.J. for Radio Canale Grande in Neu-Ulm, Germany, which
means that I got in free and did interviews, was in October, 1994 with Paul
Dianno's "Killers" opening for "Vicious Rumours" and "Metal Church", hence
I called my Rock Radio Show, "Vicious Metal Killers".  lol  By the way, I
saw the same line-up a week later in Tuebingen with the additional band,
Zodiac Mindwarp & the Love Reaction sans Davey Rimmer.  My first concert as
a professor in China was Jay Chou, the Taiwanese star, who was Kato in "The
Green Hornet" film with Seth Rogen.  Lastly, my first concert in Hong Kong
was "The Pretenders", and a still hot to the eyes Chrissie Hynde.  By the
way, I took my son all the way to Berlin when he was 9 to see Alice Cooper
for his first gig, and it was brutally great, of course!  This is lengthy,
but I hope that YOU do not mind me sharing a bit.  Keep on Rockin'!

Rick
[?]

--
http://about.me/rick.wilson