[Heeplist] Spirit in the Sky

Jay Pearson deepheep at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 23:10:34 EST 2013

Well, I have yet to listen to Early Sessions 3 cuz I had to listen to Spirit in the Sky for a 3rd time!

David's performance of the Arthur Brown classic "Fire" is the BEST I've ever heard! I'd compare David on this one to his performance on the UK version of Bird of Prey.

His version of All Right Now is as good as any that Paul Rodgers has done. (The backing band is crap, however!)

Other performances that are better (to my ears) than the original singer include Something in the Air, Ice in the Sun, Blackberry Way, and Call Me Number One. All of David's performances are at least equal to the original.

I only hear David on harmony vocals on Honky Tonk Woman, the guy who actually sings it isn't very good. Don't know if I'll listen to this one ever again. And that's NOT David singing Black Night, I think it's the same guy as HTW. Shame! I was really looking forward to hearing David doing Purple. :-(

Let's Work Together sounds heavier than the earlier version, but I could be wrong. Race With the Devil sounds pretty much the same.

Jay