[Heeplist] Sportpalast Berlin Germany 1973

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 07:49:17 EDT 2013

So what does anyone who listened so far think of the show form 1973?
I did learn 2 things, Ken can be highly dominating on Keyboards and I got a
renewed appreciation for the bass play of Gary Thain.  The crowing jewell on
this recording is Gypsy.  Ken brings the keyboards to life and it so
captivating with his play, I never noticed the lack of guitar.Also without
the guitar, I got a better feel for the bassline of this song.  Credit has
to go to Lee as well, in my book he is the ultimate Heep drummer.

Tears in My Eyes was interesting, because Ken is actually a really good
guitar player although the songs sounds very rough without the 2nd lead.
Since Ken was on guitar, they keyboards could not be counted on to overcome
like July Morning and Gypsy did.  I will have to listen to Tears in My Eyes
with Mick and this song without again to compare.  It sounded to me that
David was mimicking some of the lead guitar riffs with his voice.  That in
itself is amazing.

Another thing, I always thought Mick was the heep sound, but Lee/Gary/Ken
provided an unmistakable and unduplicatable signature to the songs.

No knock on current heep, but this magic lineup was also 40 years ago.

On 10/7/13 1:12 PM, "MF" <mfredrick at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing from Mick on the subject to see what happened
> and if there were any others..

 Mike Fredrick