[Heeplist] Live Fire - Trouble review

Damian Leyland damianleyland at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:15:05 EDT 2013

Well after a lot of email traffic with Pledge Music and, eventually Cherry Red Records, I have finally received a CD, not the Live CD which I originally ordered, but Trouble!!Anyway, I am now fortunate to be able to listen to it pre release!Thoughts in no particular order, on first listen;Interestingly the CD is Ken's personal tribute and thanks to David Byron, Gary Thain, Mick Box and Lee Kerslake and has a small photo of the original band. Nice.No mention of Trevor, however. Missed opportunity/timing?All ten songs are written by Ken alone and it is certainly a rock album with swirling and growling Hammond keys high in the mix throughout on all tracks. Excellent!Certainly reminds me of the early Heep sound and elements of "Faster" and "BOTH" too. This is Ken's best recent release by far and it is definitely a Ken Hensley album.I think that Ken Ingwersen's voice is an acquired taste but one which will grow on me, hopefully! Real drums. Good!Guitar sounds good to me too with a good deal of wah wah....a nod to Mick?One ballad, You Will Always Be Mine, a typical Ken ballad which you will like or hate. Todo Loco (Everything is crazy) is a little poppy and repetitive.Dangerous Desire is a bit of a filler.The Longest Night is opened with Ken on lead vocals and is the only track with Ken H leading.Overall an excellent album and one which will be a regular listen!I am sure this CD will be create some positive discussion on the list.Now I am hoping the Live album will turn up eventually ;-))