[Heeplist] Smoke on the Water

Bob Winward uriahheep at comcast.net
Fri Sep 13 07:22:13 EDT 2013

Wow that is a really cool video.  They got some great makeup on Airey too!
What I like about the new DP the songs Vincent Price and Weirdistan are very
different sounding, progressive and enjoyable.  The stand out track in my
opinion, is the tribute to Jon Lord "Uncommon Man".  "Hell to Pay" is an
outstanding rocker, great song.  I also really like "Above and Beyond", that
may actually be the standout track.  "Apre's Vous" is another great song and
sometimes my favorite.
This is the first DP I have bought in 25 years that I liked right out of the
case.

One track I did not like was Blood From a Stone" but yesterday, the soft
bluesy arrangement at the back end of the song leaped out at me.

The bass of Roger Glover is pounding and Ian has not sounded this good on
drums in a long time.  Airey lets loose on the keyboards with reckless
abandon something that caught me off guard.  Also Ian sings just about every
song and there is no rapping/chanting.   I was really pleased with the
guitar work, it is not Ritchie Blackmore, but some of the riffs are quite
enjoyable.  I hear a lot of mellow solos that soar with power, very similar
to Mick's sound.

PS the other cd I bought this year BS 13, I listened to that again
yesterday, it is great too!!