[Heeplist] McCartney & Wings

Jay Pearson deepheep at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 17:50:21 EDT 2013

I suggest y'all listen to The Fireman: Electric Arguments. Paul McCartney does experimental heavy progressive rock that is surprisingly good. I don't care much for his classical/opera, but that's a stylistic thing for me. McCartney II was one the most adventurous pop albums ever. Sides 1 & 6 of Wings Over America are as heavy as any hard rock band of the 70s. Then he puts out pop pablum like Tug of War or Kisses on the Bottom, which both make Equator sound like the second coming of Demons & Wizards. I don't know if any other musician of our generation has a more varied catalog, has taken more chances, or put out more crap.

That said, I think the best post-Beatles albums are all by John: Imagine, Mind Games, Walls & Bridges (although his "soundscape" albums are among the worst things ever released)
My next favorite is Ringo (the album), a great guilty pleasure
But no post-Beatles albums match Rubber Soul, Revolver, or Abbey Road, IMO

Jay
np - John Fogerty - Wrote a Song for Everyone

 From: Todd Clark <tuck0411 at gmail.com>

Clearly, Lennon was an essential part of the Beatles song-writing formula,
but I think McCartney had enough quality on his own to come close, if not
match, the Beatles in that regard.  Yeah, his stuff was lighter and more
pop-oriented, no doubt, but that was the case in the Beatles, too.  Even
though all the songs were credited to Lennon/McCartney, it was easy to pick
out which ones were largely Paul's doing.  Just my opinion, but I'd put Band
On The Run up against just about any of the Beatles albums with maybe the
exception of the White Album and Abbey Road.