[Heeplist] Dan McCafferty Retires

Mac Steagall rsteagall at carolina.rr.com
Thu Aug 29 07:43:57 EDT 2013

 From Classic Rock Magazine:
Nazareth singer Dan McCafferty has retired from
the band as a result of the health issues which
forced them to cancel two sets of live dates.

The veteran vocalist
<http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/nazareth-dan-mccafferty-collapses-again/>collapsed
on stage in Switzerland at the weekend, resulting
in rumours that he’d had a stroke.
<http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/nazareth-dan-mccafferty-collapses-on-stage/>Last
month he collapsed in Canada. Both incidents
caused the band to call off further appearances.

Now he’s shouted down the stroke story – but
admits a lung disease has brought an end to his 45-year live career.

McCafferty tells Classic Rock: “I’ve not had a
stroke. That’s completely untrue – thank goodness
and touch wood. I’m not in hospital in
Switzerland at all. I don’t know how these things get started.

“I’ve got Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
and it’s been getting worse over the years. You
don’t know when it’s going to come on, but suddenly you can’t breathe.

“I was going on stage at Summerfest in
Switzerland thinking, ‘This is great – our first
festival in a few months and it’s a lovely day.’
We couldn’t have asked for better.”

Three songs in he suffered an attack of COPD,
leaving him out of breath and unable to continue.
He decided at that moment to retire with immediate effect.

“When I came off stage I said to the boys: ‘I
can’t keep doing this to the band.’ I can’t
embarrass the boys and the fans. If you can’t do
the job you shouldn’t be there – Nazareth’s too big for that.”

McCafferty’s decision came after he’d taken a
break following his collapse in Canada, which was
caused by a burst stomach ulcer. “I thought I’d
be fine,” he says, “But you lose so much blood when that happens.”

He admits he and his bandmates are “a wee bit
emotional” and haven’t come to terms with the
news, but he says: “The music we’ve made over the
years is more important than any member of the
band. We always felt like that, and I can’t see
that’s changed just because I’ve left.

“I really hope they get someone else. I’m sure they can.”

Naz recently completed recording work on their
24th album, not yet titled. “To go into a studio
and sing isn’t like doing a gig,” says
McCafferty. “I could always make another record,
but getting up to do an hour and three-quarters,
and get people to pay money to come and see me – I can’t do that.”

He’s going to take time out to consider his
future, but says a solo album might be a
possibility. As to the chances of a farewell
show, he jokes: “It could be like, ‘I’ll sing for
ten minutes, everyone go for a pint, than I’ll
sing for another ten minutes.’ I don’t know how well that would work!”

McCafferty adds: “Let everyone know I appreciate
they’ve been there for all these years.”

Naz formed in Fife, Scotland in 1968, with
McCafferty and bassist Pete Agnew the only
members to feature in all lineups until now.
Other members included Manny Charlton, John
Locke, Zal Cleminson and TeamRock Radio Blues
Magazine Show host Billy Rankin. The last lineup
to feature McCafferty had been stable since 2002,
with guitarist Jimmy Murrison and Agnew’s son Lee on drums.