[Heeplist] Fwd: Re[2]: McCartney & live album

Igor Shveitser zlenko_iv at mail.ru
Sat Aug 31 05:09:34 EDT 2013

-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
От кого: Igor Shveitser <zlenko_iv at mail.ru>
Кому: Jay Pearson <deepheep at yahoo.com>
Дата: Суббота, 31 августа 2013, 13:05 +04:00
Тема: Re[2]: [Heeplist] McCartney & live album

Hello Jay,
I'll try to explain though it seems to me like an almost impossible task at the moment. So... Bonamassa - nothing wrong with his guitar player skills and usage of multiple equipment, but he has no face of his own to me (like almost all players of his generation and about it that I am aware of). And his hands are lazy - in comparison with Ritchie's or even Steve's. That's why I don't like his input into "Concerto..." and his carreer in general. Bonamassa - singer? Hell no, Ronnie Dio was a singer to me, David Byron, David Coverdale and the likes. Of singing guitarists I can accept Pat Travers, Rickey Medlocke or Gary Moore - those, to me, could do some good singing and were (some still are) unique performers... And you don't have to be a virtuoso or hell of a singer to be more than individuality in rock - e.g. Dave Gilmour or our favourite Ken Hensley. That is what I value as art.
Now, to your questions.1. " Are you trying to say that a solo artist can't produce a successful album without a proper band supporting him?"
No, I am not, he can, but the energy won't be the same and classic rock hardly knows such examples. McCartney almost did once or twice - and it was quite poor excluding a few songs, and it wasn't rock really, Paul (and The Beatles) are more pop (of a very high quality) music than anything. Songs like Jet or Rock Show are exclusions only prooving me right :)
2. "Are you saying that solo artists with a band of hired hands who support an act that you personally like (e.g, early Whitesnake) is superior to a solo artist whose style you think sucks (e.g., Malmsteen)?"
Incorrect question, but I'll answer that as well. First off, Malmsteen doesn't suck. He, unlike your Bonamassa, is really high class individuality, but he plays by his own rules (being capable of playing some other instruments) and never really cared for the chemistry within the band - that is why he is always the same and quite boring, if not united with other individuals like Bonnett or Soto. With Whitesnake (before 1984) it was a real band no matter how much I like it. They were connected to each other, it wasn't "Coverdale+ some other guys", you could easily notice Bernie's or Micky's input, even Jon's.
3. "Are you trying to say that Satriani's bands consist of one great musician and he hires supporting players who can barely play and certainly aren't allowed to contribute any of their own ideas to albums so his music sucks?"
One more time, no. I don't like his music and style, but it is just my taste really - the rest is pretty much the same as with Yngwie. However, in this case I never fancied his collective efforts as well, even with Sammy. Compare those (Chickenfoot) to original Van Halen (as a band) - and feel the difference. That is what I dislike and like in rock, respectively.
4. "Sometimes I am truly amazed by the authority with which you speak..." Up to you, Jay, I don't mind :)))))))))))))) I've spent quite a lot of time playing, analyzing music, writing articles about it, and talking to various musicians, not only rockers. That is where it comes from, perhaps I was more shy at 17 :))))). Take no offence, I hope, I explained it all.
Cheers and all the best, Igor

--
Igor Shveytser