[Heeplist] BS 13 (nhc)

Rys rys_miller at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 4 21:29:03 EDT 2013

Those are all really good points, and I'm sure that exposure lured in the
fringe people who bought the album more out of curiosity or because it's
"cool" or "trendy" to like anything related to Ozzy nowadays.  It's sad that
the name Black Sabbath is more like  a tradeable commodity - they even sell
Sabs t-shirts in Best buy now!  Of course, I'm sure anyone with a passing
interest in heavy rock would be likely to buy the album based solely on all
the hype that surrounded it! And the whole thing about leaving Bill out just
added fuel to the fire and piqued people's curiosity even more!

And yes as Igor said whenever a band of Sabs calibre does anything it is an
EVENT and people want to be there to be part of history, for better or for
worse.  Even tonight a large chunk of my friends are in NJ at the Sabs show
even though I can only imagine Ozzy blundering his way through it.

And yes Ozzy was always known as a great front man vs being a great singer
(although there are people who adore his singing style but to each his own).
I do believe that the early Sabbath stuff wouldn't have been as powerful or
noteworthy (maybe? not a good word??) with a more "pedestrian" type of
vocalist.  that being said, Dio's style was perfect for the albums he was
on, but that was the natural progression of the band, just as Heep naturally
progressed with their vocalists (for better or for worse, but that’s
something I'm not knowledgeable enough to even speculate about.)

Rys x