[Heeplist] [NHC] Some Great New Music

Shawn Mctopy shawn.mctopy at selu.edu
Wed Jun 12 17:02:54 EDT 2013

Igor,

I like *Tony Iommi's* wah-pedal use on *'BLACK SABBATH'*, *'ELECTRIC FUNERAL
*', and one of my favorites - *'SUPERNAUT'*.

*Tony Iommi*, and *BLACK SABBATH*, wrote the sonic-book on de-tuned,
sludgey, and ominous/evil sounding riffs *(in my opinion)*. Iommi was
slack-tuning his guitar down to *C#* starting with the *'MASTER OF REALITY*'
album in the early 1970's. This slack-tuning is quite common nowadays
with *Heavy
Groups*, but was truly unheard of in the early 70's. At least, that is,
until *SABBATH* began doing such.

The *SOVTEK/Electro-Harmonix Big Muff-PI* pedal is great for producing
over-the-top, and sludge-like *Fuzz* tones, similar to *Iommi* and *BLACK
SABBATH!* It's a real *'Beast'* of a Gizmo!

Mine came in a neat wooden box featuring *Russian* lettering on it. I'm
keeping that Box, and the Pedal *(of course)*.

*SOVTEK*, at a time, made some really cool *Tube Amp* heads as well. I had
a friend at college that used a *SOVTEK* mini Amp Head to gig with. It was
small but powerful, and produced a great *Rockin'* Tone as well.  The
neatest thing was that these *Amps* were reasonably priced and generated
great *Tone*.  I believe *Mike Mathews* *(Mr. Electro-Harmonix)* has
discontinued the *SOVTEK* line, and is now based only here in *The States*.
:(

*Michael Schenker?* Didn't *Mr. Schenker* use a wah-pedal as more of a tone
filter. Meaning, he found a nice spot in the Pedal's Action/Throw *
(Tone-Wise)* and left the Pedal set that way *(?)*. Just a guess, as I am
only somewhat knowledgeable about *Michael Schenker's* playing, other than
the *UFO* - *'OBSESSION*' *Album*.

Take Care, Igor.

Keep a *HEEP'n!*

Shawn -